How Do I Dominate My Own SEO?
First, let me start by saying you need to know a few things to get started. If you are going down the DIY SEO road then you are likely using a CMS like WordPress, or a website builder like Wix. If you choose WordPress I would highly recommend installing the Yoast SEO plugin to help you manage SEO. The website builders have some SEO components built into them but they can be limiting.
Ultimately the way to dominate SEO is by thinking of your audience first, not Google or Bing. Develop and write content for your audience. If you sell cars then explain the advantages of a certain car in terms your audience will understand. If you are a painter then develop content around deciding what type of paint you should use or what colors work best in different scenarios.
If you’re an SEO expert then develop content that helps business owners understand why SEO is so critical to a business’ success and how to determine if the SEO is done properly on their site.
Content comes in many forms. Develop content in video, photos, infographics, written, and audio. This ensures you are appealing to different types of learning. By doing this you will likely increase engagement which has become an important part of what Google looks at in determining ranking factors in 2017.
Content that your audience wants is one of the most critical pieces of any successful SEO plan. Once the content is developed you can worry about the other more technical items and SEO tricks & hacks.
Here are some SEO hacks & tricks that have worked well for me recently:
- Repurposing & remarketing content. Take an older blog post, update it and share it across social media
- Sharing a blog post that Google has indexed on your site to other blogging platforms
- When developing content include different forms of content (video, audio, images). Video especially will increase engagement
- Share, Share, Share. There are tons of ways to share your content. Do it.
- Include Power Words in Your Title and Content
- Don’t develop content around a singular keyword phrase. Use variations
- Use Google Search Console to determine keyword analytics and build on positive results
That should be enough to get you started. Things are changing in 2017. If your SEO is not changing with it then you will suffer. Some things to look out for in 2017 in my educated opinion:
- Google will continue to put more weight into engagement analytics like bounce rate, time on page, and shares.
- Google will penalize “fake” traffic. This means if you are somehow manipulating clicks to your site you will be penalized. One of the more common methods of doing this is to encourage people to search for something and click on your site.
- Businesses will place more value on SEO, and good SEOs will become harder to find. Larger businesses will in-house SEO.
- Video will continue to drive SEO results and become more important to your SEO success.
I have a few more theories but we will hold on to those for a later blog post.
The question is What is SEO. We reviewed what SEO is and how to dominate it in 2017. The truth is SEO takes a lot of time, testing, effort, monitoring and work, and some luck. If you are not prepared for the long-term commitment it’s best to leave it to an SEO expert. In short, SEO is HARD WORK.
18 Feb 2017 - SEO